Roasted Strawberry & Buttermilk Ice Cream
No one ever tells you how long it takes to make ice cream.
The freezing. Seventeen hours. Seventeen!
But oh man, is that good.
Roasted Strawberry & Buttermilk Ice Cream (from Jeni’s Splendid Ice Creams)
1 pt strawberries
1/2 c sugar
3 T lemon juice
1 1/2 c whole milk
2 T corn starch
2 oz cream cheese
1/8 t salt
1 1/4 c heavy cream
2/3 c sugar
2 T corn syrup
1/4 c buttermilk
- Roast sliced berries with 1/2 c sugar at 375º for 8-10 mins, until softened. Let cool and purée with lemon juice.
- Mix 2 T milk with the corn starch; mix to create a slurry.
- Heat the rest of the milk, cream, sugar and corn syrup in saucepan. Boil for 4 mins, remove from heat and mix in the cornstarch slurry. Boil again for 1 minute, remove from heat.
- Place cream cheese & salt into large bowl. Whisk the heated milk mixture into cream cheese until smooth. Add buttermilk & 1/2 c strawberry purée.
- Pour into ziploc bag & cool in ice bath for 30 mins.
- Churn in ice cream maker, and freeze for 4 hours. Serve topped with extra strawberry purée.