These cookies have a secret.
They look like madeleines and taste like financiers. They lie!
I ran out of muffin tins so I used my madeleine pan.
They melt in tea.
I know what you’re thinking — and no, there will be no Proust joke here. How gauche.
And the round ones were really hard to get out of the pan.
Strawberry Financiers (adapted from Bon Appetit’s Blackberry Financiers)
12 T unsalted butter (1 1/2 sticks)
1 c sliced almonds
1/2 c flour
1 1/2 c powdered sugar
5 egg whites
2 t honey (or corn syrup)
1 c strawberries, sliced
- Brown the butter in a saucepan. Let cool at least 5 min.
- Grind almonds fine in a food processor. Combine with flour, powdered sugar, egg whites & honey.
- Mix in butter until just combined.
- Preheat oven to 375º. Butter / PAMspray pans of your choice liberally.
- Fill each little niche with 1 1/2 tablespoons of batter. Top with strawberry slices.
- Bake for 15 mins. Cool before popping them out.